- ACT Residual
- Graduation Exit Exam
- High School Equivalency
- Make-up Testing
- Placement Testing
- Proctoring Services
- Testing Out
- TSA Business Exam
- Testing for Credit
Placement testing is a self-directed, computerized assessment that evaluates a student’s reading, writing, and math abilities to ensure proper placement in courses. A student is enrolled in college courses or college prep courses based upon individual test results.
TESTING LOCATIONS: Testing services are available at all Crowder campuses. See the information below for a listing of locations, phone numbers, and email addresses.
NEOSHO Testing Center 417.455.5433
CASSVILLE Instruction Center 417.847.1706
WEBB CITY 417.673.2345
NEVADA Instruction Center 417.667.0518
MCDONALD COUNTY 417.226.6000
Crowder College accepts placement scores from ACT, SAT, HiSET/GED, and Accuplacer. To view the ACT Scoring Placement Chart click here. To view the Accuplacer Scoring Placement Chart click here. If any of these exams were taken at another institution, scores can be transferred to Crowder College as long as the exam was taken within five years. The scores can then be converted to Crowder placement levels. In order to transfer placement scores, contact the original institution to have the scores faxed to the Crowder College Records Office at 417.455.0505.
As of September 2019, Crowder College has instituted Next-Generation Accuplacer and WritePlacer as our new placement tests. All students, including dual credit and dual enrollment students, can take two tests per section per year. For more information about the exam, please click here for testing specifications.
FIRST-TIME STUDENTS: A placement test or adequate placement testing scores are required for all first-time students who are seeking a degree, enrolling for seven or more credit hours, and enrolling for a course that has a placement requirement.
TRANSFER STUDENTS: A placement test or adequate placement testing scores are required for transfer students who have not completed their freshman requirements in reading, writing, or math.
NON-DEGREE SEEKING: Students that plan to enroll in some courses as non-degree seeking may not have to take the whole placement exam. However, if they change to degree-seeking at a later date, they may have to take all or portions of the placement test.
CALCULATORS: Handheld calculators are not permitted on the Accuplacer. For test questions that are configured for multiple calculators during the exam, clicking on the calculator icon will provide a drop-down menu that could include two or three of the following: Basic calculator (four-function calculator); Square root calculator (four-function calculator with square root button); Graphing calculator (TI-84 graphing calculator).
TESTING FEES: All new students are required to pay a Crowder College application fee, which covers the cost of the first attempt of the placement test. This application fee is waived for dual credit and dual enrollment students.
Students who wish to improve their scores by retaking all or part of the placement test are required to pay a $10.00 retake fee per section prior to taking the exam.
RETESTING: If a student has taken any of Crowder College’s placement tests at any Crowder campus or one of our dual-credit high schools and now desires to take the current placement test, it will be considered a retest. Crowder College honors the highest scores achieved on the placement test. Students cannot retest on the same day. All students, including dual credit and dual enrollment students, may take two tests per section per year.
ACCOMMODATIONS: Students with disabilities that wish to have accommodations for testing need to identify with the Crowder College Student Accessibility Office before taking the placement test. For example, an individual with a reading disability may require a reader for the exam and would need to schedule in advance. Other conditions, such as physical or visual disabilities, need to be reported ahead of time so proper accommodations can be prepared. Please call the Office of Accessibility Services at 417-455-5733 for more information.
TEST SCORES: Score reports are available immediately after testing and are valid for five years from the test date.
SAMPLE QUESTIONS: Students can visit the links below to view sample questions for the Accuplacer test.
Reading sample questions (PDF)
WritePlacer guide and sample questions (PDF)
Arithmetic sample questions (PDF)
Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra, and Statistics sample questions (PDF)
Advanced Algebra and Functions sample questions (PDF)
- Examinees must bring to the testing center one current identification card printed in English bearing your photograph and name.
- All cell phones and electronic items must be turned off.
- Cell phones, IDs, and locker keys will be left with the test proctor.
- All other personal items are to be locked in a locker provided by the testing center.
- Backpacks, bags, purses, wallets, etc.
- Calculators, music devices, laptops, cameras, health/fitness trackers, or any electronic items.
- Outerwear such as coats, sweaters, jackets, scarves, gloves, hats, etc.
- Hoodies or any clothing with a hood.
- Watches, noisy jewelry, etc.
- Food or drinks must be left in the proctor’s office and are not allowed into the testing room.
- Students will not be allowed to take any personal belongings into the testing room.
- Earplugs, pencils, and erasers are provided and are available in the testing center.
- The test proctor will provide scratch paper.
- No talking is allowed in the testing room.
- Students will lose their testing privileges in the testing center if they are found cheating on a test, and the incident will be reported to the Crowder College Academic Affairs office.
- Any scratch paper(s) used during the exam will be collected by test proctors for shredding. All testing materials are the property of College Board; therefore, students are not allowed to copy or take any portion of the placement test outside the testing facility.
- Score reports are available immediately after testing.
For more information or questions concerning course placement and scoring:
- Visit the SSC at the Neosho campus, located on the first floor of McDonald Hall, room 115.
- Call 417.455.5602 or email SSC@crowder.edu to be connected to an advisor.
- For all other locations, please contact your advisor.
- For dual credit or dual enrollment, please contact the Academic Coordinator of Concurrent Enrollment at 417.680.3202 or email DualCredit@crowder.edu
For more information concerning placement testing:
- Visit the SSC Testing Center at the Neosho campus, located on the 3rd floor of McDonald Hall, Room 318.
- Call 417.455.5433 or email Testing@crowder.edu