Veterans’ Programs

Chapter 30 – Montgomery GI Bill

Montgomery GI Bill – Active Duty (MGIB) Information

Persons who entered active duty after July 1, 1985, and had their military pay reduced by $100 per month for 12 months, may qualify for this program. These persons also must have served a minimum of two years, earned a high school diploma or its equivalent either prior to, or during the qualifying enlistment, and must have an honorable discharge. Other requirements may apply.

Chapter 31 – Vocational Rehabilitation Programs

Vocational Rehabilitation Programs (VRP) Information

Eligibility for this program is determined by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. This program provides payment of required fees and a monthly allotment.

Chapter 32 – Veterans Educational Assistance Program

Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP) Information

This program provides benefits to persons who initially entered the service after December 31, 1976, and before July 1, 1985. These persons volunteered to contribute money to the Post-Vietnam Era Veteran Educational Assistance Program. Participants receive monthly payments for the number of months they contributed or for 36 months, whichever is less.

Chapter 33 – Post 9/11 GI Bill: Eligibility and Payments

Who is eligible for benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill Information?

Eligible individuals include those who serve on active duty at least 90 aggregate days beginning on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days of continuous service. (Discharged individuals must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible, or have a discharge or release for a medical condition Existing Prior to Service (EPTS), Hardship (HDSP), or Condition Interfering with Duty (CIWD). For more information on the Post-9/11 GI Bill, call toll-free 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551), or visit the VA GI Bill Website at

Post-9/11 GI Bill: Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship

Public Law 111-32, the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship, amends the Post-9/11 GI Bill (chapter 33) to include the children of service members who die in the line of duty after Sept. 10, 2001. The benefit is effective August 1, 2009; the same day the Post-9/11 GI Bill takes effect. Eligible children attending school may receive up to the highest public, in-state undergraduate tuition and fees, plus a monthly living stipend and book allowance under this program. A child may be married or over the age of 23 and still be eligible. How to apply: A new version of the VA Form 22-5490, “Dependents’ Application for VA Education Benefits” is available on VA’s website, A parent or guardian must sign the application if the child is under age 18.

Transfer of Entitlement (TEB)

In certain cases, a portion of an active duty service person’s Post 9/11 benefits can be transferred to a dependent(s) or spouse. Transfer of entitlement is possible when a service member (active duty or Reserve) serves at least 6years and reenlists for 4 more years. Entitlement can be divided between more than one dependent. Go to the Transfer of Entitlement link at for more information on the steps service person must do to transfer benefits.

Chapter 35 – Surviving Spouses/Dependents

Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (DEA) Information

This program provides benefits for dependents and spouses of veterans who died or are 100 percent disabled due to service-connected causes.

Chapter 1606 – Selected Reserve

Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) Information

This program provides benefits for members of the Reserve/National Guard who enlisted, re-enlisted or extended their enlistment for a period of six years after July 1, 1985. Individuals must be active guard or reserve to receive this benefit.

Chapter 1607- Reserve Educational Assistance

Reserve Educational Assistance Information

REAP (Chapter 1607 of title 10, U.S. Code) is a benefit providing educational assistance to members of the reserve components – Selected Reserve (Sel Res) and Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) – who are called or ordered to active service in response to a war or national emergency, as declared by the President or Congress. The “reserve components” consist of Army Reserve, Naval Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve, Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard, Air National Guard, Army IRR, Air Force IRR, Navy IRR and Marine Corps IRR. “Active Service” is service on active duty or full-time National Guard duty.

My Career Advancement Account

Spouses of military active duty members and activated members of the National Guard and Reserve Components are eligible.

MyCAA Financial Assistance (FA) pays for education and training programs, tuition, and licensing/ credentialing fees. This includes degree programs (e.g. associates, bachelors, masters, doctoral and post-doctoral), continuing education classes, Bar, CPA and other similar exams, and state certifications for teachers, medical professionals and other licensed occupations. MyCAA also pays for High School Completion courses, GED tests and English as a Second Language (ESL) classes.

Eligible spouses can establish a MyCAA Account by visiting the MyCAA website.

Tuition Assistance

Students receiving Tuition Assistance through GoArmyEd must complete a tuition assistance approval letter. The completed forms must be taken to the Crowder cashier office or e-mailed to The instructions and necessary forms can be found at

Missouri Returning Heroes Act (MRHA)

MRHA is for Missouri veterans who have served in a combat area or designated hazardous pay area between September 11, 2001 and the present, have been a Missouri resident when they entered the service. A copy of their DD-214 Member Copy 4 must be submitted to the Veteran Services office to determine eligibility.

A completed Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be on file in the Financial Aid Office.

This benefit provides a partial tuition waiver for at least some of the tuition the student may have to pay out-of-pocket.

Army Nurse Candidate Program

Earn $1000.00 and a $10,000 Monthly Stipend while attending school and guaranteed specialty training in OB/GYN, Operating Room, Critical Care, Community Mental Health.

For more information about this program, contact Major Heather Anderson at 1-877-576-4434 or and check out the web site at and search under Army Nurse Candidate Program.

Army’s Health Professions Scholarship Program

The Army offers one of the most generous and comprehensive scholarships in the health care field. It’s called the F. Edward Herbert Armed Forces scholarship, plus a monthly allowance through the Army’s HPSP.

Scholarship Eligibility: Must be a citizen of the United States; Meet eligibility criteria for appointment as a commissioned officer in the US Army Reserve; Maintain full-time student status during the entire length of the program.

Tuition: You select the school, obtain acceptance, and apply for the scholarship. If selected, 100% tuition is paid to any accredited professional school in the United States.

Books/Fees/ Reimbursable: The Army will pay for required books, rental of non-expendable equipment and most academic fees.

Monthly Stipend: A generous monthly stipend of $1,319.00 will be provided to ten and one-half months of each school year.

Army Officer Pay: For the remaining six weeks of the school year, you will receive the full pay and allowances offered a Second Lieutenant in the Army Reserve. After graduation and entrance on active duty, you’ll be promoted to Captain, which means more pay. Your salary will increase through the years with promotions, time in service, and annual cost of living increases. You’ll also receive a monthly non-taxable allowance for your food and housing.

Scholarships are available for Medical, Dental, Veterinarian, Optometry, and Clinical Psychology schools. For more information, please contact SFC Scott W. Sheridan at 1-877-269-1482 or and check out the web site at