Glossary of College Terms

Academic Forgiveness – the procedure by which a semester of low g.p.a. classes taken at Crowder College can be excluded from your cumulative g.p.a.

Academic Load – the number of credit hours you can take each semester. For instance, English Composition I is 3 credit hours. A normal academic load is 12 to 16 hours a semester, although you can take less.

Academic Probation – A student whose academic progress falls below minimum academic requirements will be placed on academic probation. After being placed on academic probation, the student must maintain a 2.0 g.p.a. each semester to avoid being placed on academic suspension. Students on academic probation must enroll in College Connections (LOC 103) in the subsequent term.

Academic Suspension – Students with a cumulative g.p.a. below 2.0 after a semester of probation will be placed on academic suspension. The student will be required to halt their academic pursuit for one semester and then must petition the suspension committee to be considered for re-admittance.

Academic Warning – Students with a cumulative g.p.a. below a 2.0 but higher than the minimum academic progress standards will be placed on academic warning.

Academic Year – from August to May, including fall and spring semesters.

Associate in Arts Degree (A.A.) – the degree given to students who have completed requirements as listed in the catalog. Usually given to people who concentrate in liberal arts or business courses on the college transfer level. The degree requires at least 60 units of credit (credit hours).

Associate in Applied Science Degree (A.A.S.) – the degree given to students who have completed the requirements listed in the catalog. Requires at least 60 units of credit (credit hours). Associate of Science Degree – the degree has been developed for transfer to specific universities and programs. Consult with an advisor about pursuing this degree.

Auditing a Class – attending a course but not expecting to get credit for it. People who audit usually do not have to do the outside assignments or take the examinations. Fees are the same for regular enrollment. Audits must be declared by the end of the second week of the semester.

Co-requisite – an academic course required to be taken in conjunction with another course.

Counselor – a professionally trained person who assists students with academic, vocational or personal problems.

Credit – a way of counting how much each course is worth toward graduation. Usually, credit hours are assigned to courses according to how many hours a week the course meets; however, in some fields you are required to attend class for more hours than announced credit. In art, for instance, you may spend four hours a week in class for two hours of credit. Your tuition is based on the number of credit hours for which you register.

Curriculum – a group of courses you are required to take. The courses vary according to the program you are taking.

Vice President – an administrator in charge of a certain part of the college, such as Vice President of Student Affairs, Vice President of Instruction, etc.

Dean’s List – a list of all the students taking at least 12 credit hours and receiving a 3.5 grade point average for that semester. Disciplinary

Probation – a warning to students who have broken some of the college rules. Being put on probation may include some special restrictions as to what those students can do. If the students don’t abide by the rules or special instructions, he/she can be dismissed from the college.

Dismissal – being refused permission to attend college. A record of the dismissal becomes part of the student’s permanent record. Double (or Multiple)

Degrees – students wanting to gain another degree at Crowder College need to meet all the requirements of the new degree and have an additional 15 credit hours taken at Crowder College that were not counted for another Crowder degree. Double (or Multiple)

Majors – students wanting to have more than one major simply need to meet the requirements of all desired degrees.

Dropping – officially withdrawing from a course. In order to drop a course, students must fill out the appropriate forms in the Admissions Office, Student Services Office, Newton Hall.

Elective – a course you choose to take but that is not a required part of your regular curriculum. Electives count toward the hours needed for graduation, but cannot replace the courses that are required in your program. Extracurricular

Activities – opportunities the college offers as a part of its service to students. Usually free with a student ID card. He/she include such things as movies, sports, clubs, student government, dances, parties, etc.

Finals – examinations given at the end of a semester, sometimes covering all the material of the course. In the day program, two hours are set aside for each course and the tests are given on a different schedule than the regular 20 General Information class meeting time. Even though some courses do not end with one big comprehensive test, students are usually expected to attend the class during the time set for the final examination

Financial Aid – any kind of help given toward attending college. Financial aid can include grants, loans or jobs. The financial aid department is located in the Student Services Office, Newton Hall.

Freshman – students who have completed less than 28 hours of credit.

Full-time Student – anybody taking 12 credit hours or more.

Grade Point Average (g.p.a.) – a method of showing how well you are doing in college based on the grades you receive. An A is worth 4 points; a B worth 3; a C, 2; D, 1; and an F, 0.

Graduate – a person who has finished the required curriculum, completed the necessary hours and received a degree.

Grant – money given to you to help you attend college. Usually grants do not have to be repaid.

Humanities – courses dealing with such things as literature, music, art, foreign languages, philosophy and language.

Intramural Activities – usually games and sports limited to people attending college.

Life Sciences – courses dealing with physical development and health, including biology, nursing, dental hygiene, etc.

Major – the program you are concentrating on, such as general studies, business or automotive.

Part-time Student – anybody taking less than 12 credit hours in a semester.

Pre-registration – deciding on the courses you will take and reserving spaces in them well before a semester starts. You can go through pre-registration and be sure you get the courses you want without paying the full tuition until the beginning of the semester.

Prerequisite – a course that must be completed before you take a more advanced course in the same field. English Composition I is a prerequisite for English Composition II, for instance.

Registration – filing out the forms and paying the fees necessary before you can be enrolled in a class.

Scholarship – money or other financial aid given to students doing especially well in school. Scholarships are available in some programs and not in others, but information is available in the Student Services Office.

Social Sciences – courses dealing with how people live, including such things as sociology, economics, political science, history, psychology, etc.

Sophomore – a student who has completed more than 28 credit hours, but less than the number required for an Associate Degree.

Special Student – a student who has not yet completed a high school diploma or equivalency, or one who has completed two or more years of approved college work.

Suspension – a college disciplinary action that prevents a student from attending classes or coming to school activities.

Transcript – a permanent record of the courses you have attempted and the grades you received, or the courses you have withdrawn from. If you transfer to another college, that college will want an official transcript, which must contain the registrar’s signature and the school seal. Transfer

Credit – courses which four-year colleges will accept as meeting part of their requirements. Usually transfer courses are numbered 100 or above, but the practice is not the same at all colleges, so it’s a good idea to consult a counselor.

Waiver – permission to omit a required course or substitute a similar course for one that is required.